Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Chicken a la King

This is my all-time favorite, home cooked meal.  Anytime you can incorporate a pastry into dinner, I consider it a win.  This recipe was created by my good friend and former college roommate, Lauren.  I post many recipes from her blog, as she is a genius in the kitchen. 

I made these for my father-in-law a few months back, and he raved about them also.  This was no small feat as my FIL isn't one to hand out compliments willy-nilly.  It was then that I knew I had been accepted into the Diestler tribe.  :-)

 

Chicken a la King

Ingredients:
  • 6 whole Puff Pastry Shells (In the freezer aisle, next to the Cool Whip and frozen fruit)
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • ½ cups Minced Onion Or Shallot
  • 2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
  • 1 cup Chicken Broth
  • ¾ cups Heavy Cream
  • ⅛ teaspoons Poultry Seasoning
  • 1 pinch Ground Thyme
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 1-½ cup Shredded Chicken
  • 1-½ cups Frozen Vegetables Of Your Choice
Directions:
  1. Bake puff pastry shells according to package directions.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and saute onions until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Increase heat to medium high. Slowly whisk in chicken broth. Let the sauce come to a boil to thicken. Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cream, poultry seasoning, thyme, salt, pepper, chicken, and vegetables. Keep warm on the stove top until ready to serve.
  3. To serve, remove the center of a puff pastry shell and pour in the mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment