Sunday, June 15, 2014

Green Breakfast Smoothie

The idea of a green smoothie is brilliant, right?  Get so many veggies in all at once, and you're set for the day.  All the green-smoothie lovers swear up and down that "you can't even taste the spinach!"

Well, I'm here to tell you that's a lie.  It's a scam that I fell for myself.  Either that, or I just have ultra-sensitive taste buds.  I tried just about every green smoothie concoction in the books, and let me tell you - you CAN taste the spinach, and spinach goop is just as bad as it sounds.

I was skeptical when Mel posted this recipe on our blog.  However, she's never steered me wrong when trying recipes on her site, so I decided to give this one a whirl.  I went into it with a bad attitude, certain it would be awful.


Boy was I wrong, I love this smoothie!  I can taste the spinich just a tiny bit, but it is mostly diluted with a sweet, citrusy, fresh flavor.  I usually just make half this recipe, since it's just me eating it most of the time, but I figure I get about 2 servings of fruit and 1 serving of veggies.  Not bad for 8:00 in the morning!


Green Breakfast Smoothies
Recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:
  •     1 cup 100% carrot juice
  •     1 orange peeled
  •     1/2 lime peeled
  •     1 soft, ripe pear, cored and cut into quarters
  •     1 to 2 handfuls fresh spinach
  •     1 frozen banana
  •     1 cup frozen blueberries or strawberries
  •     1-2 tablespoons ground flaxseed or chia seeds (optional)
Directions:

Combine all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth (it works best to combine them in the order listed - liquids at the bottom, frozen at the top).

No comments:

Post a Comment