Thursday, January 8, 2015

Carmels

I have tried to make caramels several times in my life, yet the result is always a bit disappointing.  Either I undercook it and the carmels are a sticky mess, or I over-cook it and end up with hard candy tasting like burnt sugar.  Two years ago, I found a recipe online that had rave reviews, and carfully purchased all the expensive premium ingredients and followed the recipe with exactness.  Two hours of continuous stirring later, I ended up with burnt, teeth-breaking carmels - not good.

I was so frustrated, so I threw the whole things away and searched for the most simple recipe I could find online with ingredients I already had in the home.  I found this recipe on my friend Liberty's blog, and it is a home-run!

We always take a plate of homemade candy to our friends for Christmas, and these carmels usually make the cut (along with some additional candy recipes I'll be posting next).  They are so simple, and I always get many compliments.


Carmels
Recipe from Mac's Menu 

Ingredients:
  • 2 C Sugar
  • 1 C Light Karo Syrup
  • 1/2 C. Butter
  • 1 Can of Evaporated milk or 1 1/2 C Cream (I usually use cream)
Directions:
  1. Butter parchment paper, and place into a 9x9 pan; set aside. 
  2. In a medium bowl, microwave butter and milk/cream until warm and butter is slightly melted, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
  3. Combine sugar and Karo Syrup in large stockpot. Bring to a boil and boil until mixture is at the soft ball stage, or 240 degrees.
  4. At this point, slowly pour the butter/cream mixture into sugar/Karo mixture. Try to keep the sugar/Karo boiling while you add the butter/cream mixture.
  5. Continue to boil until 230 degrees, or very soft ball. -- Note: I usually boil until 234 degrees, as it gives me just the right carmel consistency.  This will be different depending on where you live and how accurate your candy thermometer is, but this is what works for me.  
  6. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 tsp baking soda.
  7. Pour into 9x9 pan. Let carmels sit overnight, before cutting into squares with a sharp, buttered knife (I pull the carmels right out of the pan using the edges of the parchement paper, place it on a cutting board, and slice away -- so easy!). Wrap each piece in wax paper to maintain freshness.

No comments:

Post a Comment