Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Strawberry Freezer Jam

While we were in Utah last summer, I could not get enough of my mom's strawberry freezer jam - and keep in mind, I'm not really a jam person!  She would serve it over breakfast pop-overs, and they were heavenly. 


My mom explained that this jam was so easy to make, and all you have to do is follow the directions on the Sure-Jell packet.  As soon as I got home, I did so and the jam I made was amazing - but I was shocked at how much sugar was in it!  Seriously - it was like 2 cups of strawberries to 4 cups sugar!  No wonder I liked it so much.

I did a little research, and found that Sure-Jell makes a less sugar solution.  I made a batch of it for comparison's sake, only to find out that it tasted even better!  The taste of the strawberries came through brightly, and it was such a fresh and slightly sweet sensation.  I was hooked.

Needless to say, we have worked our way through this jam quickly.  And I'm kinda bummed, because its winter and the strawberries are expensive now.  Though in-season strawberries are usually preferable - off-season strawberries work great too!  Slightly under-ripe fruit has more pectin, and it makes this jam set-up beautifully.


Strawberry Freezer Jam
Recipe from Kraft Recipes

Ingredients:
  • 4 pt. Strawberries
  • 3 cups  sugar, measured into separate bowl 
  • 1 box  SURE-JELL For Less or No Sugar Needed Recipes Premium Fruit Pectin 
  • 1 cup  water   
Directions:
  1. Rinse clean plastic containers and lids with boiling water; you'll need about 8 - 1 cup containers. Dry thoroughly.  
  2. Crush strawberries thoroughly, one layer at a time. Measure exactly 4 cups crushed strawberries into large bowl.   
  3. Mix sugar and pectin in large saucepan. Stir in water. Bring to boil on medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add strawberries; stir 1 minute or until well blended.  
  4. Fill all containers immediately to within 1/2 inch of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Jam is now ready to use. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 1 year. Thaw in refrigerator before using.  

No comments:

Post a Comment