Thursday, February 19, 2015

Mom's Mint Frosting

Growing up, we always got to pick out just what birthday cake we wanted my mom to make us on our special day (luckily, we were never exposed to those awful grocery store cakes with the thick fake frosting -- ick!).  Almost all of us would request chocolate cake with mint frosting. 

My mom makes the best mint frosting - it's not too rich or overly sugary, just a subtle minty thin layer of sweet goodness!  She doesn't use a recipe, and just kind of wings it.  I was craving it a few weeks ago, and decided to try to make a cake like mom's.  I'm happy to say that I think I've been able to quantify the ingredients!  Give this a try - you won't regret it!

 

Mom's Mint Frosting
From the Kitchen of Carol Hutchins

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 4 tablespoons milk
  • 1/8 teaspoon mint extract*
Directions:

Beat the butter and powdered sugar until blended, slowly add the milk until desired consitency.  Stir in mint extract. 

*You may want to use more or less than this amount of mint extract.  This proportion came out to my desired minty-ness, but it was a touch stronger than mom's.  

No comments:

Post a Comment