Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Jalapeno Cornbread

Honestly, if you only ever make one thing on my blog - this should be it.  It is one of my all time favorite recipes.  

I'm a bit of a cornbread snob.  My family was big on cornbread growing up, and I'm sure I've tried just about every variety out there at some point - Jiffy, Marie Calander's, bisquick, etc.  The mixes are okay if you're in a pinch, but none of those even come close to comparing to this recipe.  This is truly a gourmet sensation.

 

I originally had this cornbread at my favorite restaurant, RedStone.  I would crave it often, but being as its a bit pricey ($4/slice), I decided to look for a copy cat recipe online.  I found it here, and this truly is a 100% match in terms of taste, texture, and presentation.   Please oh please oh please do not skip the maple butter - it takes this cornbread from downright delicious, to an out-of-body experience.  Have I talked it up enough?  Try it, you won't regret it. I promise.  

Jalapeno Cornbread
Recipe from Food.com

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 7 ounces creamed corn (1/2 can)
  • 2 ounces diced green chilies, drained well (1/2 can)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack and cheddar cheese blend
For the Maple Butter
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Mix together all ingredients in the order given.
  3. Pour into greased 8" or 9" iron skillet, 9x9 pan, or 10" round cake pan.
  4. Bake 35 minutes. Insert toothpick- if it comes out clean the corn bread is done. If not, continue baking & check every 5 minutes with a toothpick.
  5. Serve warm with Maple Butter.
 For the Maple Butter:
  1. Allow butter to soften to room temperature.
  2. In mixer, (use a paddle attachment if available) whip butter until fluffy.
  3. Slowly drizzle syrup into mixture until well blended.
Tip: To give the cornbread a nice crusty top, mixed about 1 tablespoon of softened butter with 2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar, and sprinkle on top before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment