Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Mom's Banana Bread

This is a recipe I never truly appreciated growing up.  Maybe its because my mom always added nuts, and I'd prefer my banana nut bread nut-free.  In my adult life, I've had the opportunity to sample many other people's banana bread.  In doing so, I couldn't believe how spoiled I was growing up with this recipe - it is so much better than anything else out there!  My mom is a banana bread genius!

 
 Sometimes I purposely buy bananas I know we won't eat, so when they get super ripe - I have no choice but to make banana bread.  I wouldn't want to be wasteful and throw them out, right?  :-)

 Mom's Banana Bread
From the kitchen of Carol Hutchins

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar*
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 3 mini loaf pans.
  2. In a measuring cup, squeeze lemon juice into milk and let sit for 5 minutes to curdle. 
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.  
  4. In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter, sugar, eggs, and mashed bananas.  Slowly alternate adding lemon/milk mixture and flour mixture to the bowl.  Mix until combined. 
  5. Bake at 350, for 30-35 minutes.  Remove from pans and cool. 
*Tip:  If your bananas are really ripe, you can reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup.  

No comments:

Post a Comment