Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Maddox Rolls

Growing up, we used to frequent a steakhouse in Perry, Utah called Maddox.  I have so many childhood memories there. We used to go there with our grandparents, or go as a treat for getting good grades, and we even held my grandma's memorial service there.  Maddox and my family go way back, I think my Grandma was even friends with the origional owner. 

My favorite part of Maddox is their rolls.  Anyone who has been there will first comment on how amazing they are.  I had a dream about them on Sunday (yes, I dream about food), so when I woke up, I diligently began looking for a copy-cat recipe online.  I came across this one, and it did not disappoint.  I would say these are about a 90% match.  Mine aren't quite as pretty, but they taste nearly the same. 


Maddox Rolls
Recipe adapted from Clawson Live

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons of yeast (not rapid rise)
  • 1/2 cup of warm water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup (or 4 ounces) of  butter
  • 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 5 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
Directions:
  1. In the microwave, melt the butter, milk, and salt for two minutes.  Remove from the heat and add two cups of flour.
  2. While cooling, mix the yeast and warm water in a measuring cup.  Add a pinch of sugar from the 1/2 cup measure and stir.  Let the yeast sit and proof for a few minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, mix the yeast mixture, eggs, sugar, milk/butter mixture and remaining 3 1/2 cups of flour just until blended and no lumps of flour remain.  Do not over mix.  The dough will be sticky and very loose.
  4. Let the batter/dough raise until double in size.
  5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Spoon it into greased muffin tins and let it raise again until doubled in size. 
  6. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.
  7. Cool on a wire rack.  Serve with honey or raspberry butter.
  8. This recipe makes about 24 dinner sized rolls.
Raspberry Honey Butter:
  • 1 cube butter (1/2 c.)
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1/4 c. raspberry jam
  • 1 t. vanilla
Whip the living daylights out of this until it is super fluffy.  Don't start with melted butter.  Room temp is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment