Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Nanaimo Bars

I was first introduced to Nanaimo Bars at our ward's annual international potluck.  Our bishop's wife, Sister Bennett, is Canadian and made these traditional cookie bars.  I was hooked from the first bite, and have found myself craving them often since then.   

I decided to try my American hand at making these amazing Canadian treats, and I'm so glad that I did.  These are literally one of my top 10 favorite desserts of all time (at least for the moment).  I don't know how these haven't caught on in the states, but I'm thrilled to have this recipe in my repertoire.


These pictures show a slightly flawed dessert, as the top chocolate layer should be smooth and shiny.  Unfortuatnly, I didn't have any semi-sweet baking squares, so I used Ghiradelli chocolate chips.  Big mistake: Ghiradelli chocolate chips don't melt down very well.  Next time - I'll use either Nestle chocolate chips or the recommended baking squares.  But don't let these pictures deter you - they really are an amazing dessert!


Nanaimo Bars
Recipe slightly adapted from All Recipes

Cookie Ingredients (Bottom Layer):
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (I just use one sleeve of graham crackers)
  • 3/4 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
Custard Ingredients (Middle Layer):
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons custard powder*
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients (Top Layer):
  • 4 ounces semisweet chocolate baking squares
  • 3 tablespoons butter
Directions:
  1. In the top of a double boiler, combine 1/2 cup butter, white sugar and cocoa powder. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Beat in the egg, stirring until thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and almonds. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 8x8 inch pan.
  2. For the middle layer, cream together 1/2 cup butter, heavy cream and custard powder until light and fluffy. Mix in the confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over the bottom layer in the pan. Chill to set.
  3. While the second layer is chilling, melt the semisweet chocolate and 3 tablespoons butter together in the microwave or over low heat. Spread over the chilled bars. Let the chocolate set before cutting into squares. 
*I use a British baking staple called Bird's Custard Powder that can be found in the international section of your grocery store or World Market.  You can also do an exact substitute with vanilla pudding mix powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment