Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Hootenanny Pancakes

This is one of my all-time favorite breakfast foods!  Some people call this dish a "German Pancake," but I've known it as a "Hootenanny Pancake" from the first time I made this recipe in Home Economics.  Whenever I'm having one of those moments when I'm starving, don't feel like going out, and haven't been grocery shopping in weeks - this is what I make.  It's so easy to throw together, and I always have these simple ingredients on hand.  

When I first made this for Alex, he stated it was simply a big Yorkshire pudding. I don't think it's quite the same - this is more of a sweet dish, rather than savory.  But I can definitely see the similarities, especially in the way its prepared.  Maybe that's why I took to Yorkshire pudding so quickly.  :-)

 

Hootenanny Pancakes
Recipe from I'm a Lazy Mom 

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup of butter (half a stick)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 eggs
Directions:
  1. Set oven to 425 degrees.  Place butter in a 9x13 glass pan, and put in oven to melt while preheating.  
  2. While butter is melting,  combine flour, milk, salt, and eggs in blender.  Blend until mixture is frothy, scraping down the sides occasionally. 
  3. When oven has reached 425, and butter is completely melted (it will be sizzling at this point), quickly pour mixture into glass pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.  It will puff up significantly.   No peaking, as opening the oven door will deflate the pancake. 
  4. Serve with whatever breakfast topping you'd like - syrup, powdered sugar, or fruit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment