Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

I am not a fan of cauliflower.  I think it stinks, like cabbage.  I'm also not a fan of cabbage.

Anyways, I've been trying to fit in more veggies, and I had once sampled a gluten-free pizza using cauliflower as the crust.  The idea sounded terrible, but the end result was actually very good.  So, I decided to give it a try.

As every recipe I found instructed, I ground up the cauliflower, microwaved it, and added the additional ingredients.  What I got was a tiny little ball of a crumbly and extremely wet consistency.  No way would this roll out to a full size pizza, and even when I tried, it was a mess!  It wouldn't hold together.

So, I decided to add a little flour to make it hold its shape.  While this isn't gluten-free, it did turn out great -- and we added another veggie to our diet for the win!  Alex liked the taste, but didn't feel like it was as filling as regular crust pizza - so you may want to add a few sides.



Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Ingredients: 
  • 2 ½ cups grated cauliflower (about 1 head)
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt to taste
  • Pinch of dried basil
  • 1/2 cup flour

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Grate the cauliflower using a cheese grater or food processor. Place in a large bowl and microwave for 7-8 minutes, or until soften. Remove and let cool. 
  3. Put mixture in paper towel, and try to drain out any excess moisture. 
  4. Mix in the egg, cheddar, Parmesan cheese, flour, dried basil flakes, and salt. Once combined, pat onto a piece of parchment paper. Place directly onto cookie sheet, spray lightly with non-stick spray, and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
  5. Top the pizza with desired toppings (I used pizza sauce, mozzarella, sausage, tomato, and bell pepper). Bake in the oven until melted and bubbly, another 10 minutes. Top with basil before serving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment