Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Utah Scones


I think we all have certain tastes that remind us of home.  For me, its scones.  We had these at various moments throughout my childhood - I remember having a scone eating contest with my cousin at Chuk-a-rama, and I think I seriously ate about a dozen (and I was probably only 8 or 9 years old at the time!).  My friend's mom down the street used to make them too, and I always loved popping through SconeCutters drive-thru (a fast food chain in Utah) for a honey butter scone.  We didn't eat them much (thankgoodness for my health), but when we did have them, they were a real treat.

When I went on my internship to Seattle, I frequented Starbucks. I noticed that they had scones on their menu, but they were more like a biscuit.  I thought it must just be a Starbucks thing.  Then, I went to Europe on a study-abroad program, and saw the same thing.  Through my travels I learned that only Utah calls this fried piece of a heaven a scone.  After scouring the inter-webs for a recipe, it seems every good Utahn has had this experience - a "scone" awakening so to speak. 

So for simplicities sake, people outside of Utah call these "Utah Scones."  Whatever you call them (elephant ears, sopapillas, beignets), they're divine!  Give 'em a try . . . but only once every few years.  Seriously, these are not a health food.  :-)


Utah Scones

Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 cup warm milk
  • 1 Packet active dry yeast
  • 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup melted butter, cooled
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 5 – 6 cups bread flour
  • Vegetable oil for deep frying*
Directions:

Combine warm water and warm milk.  Stir in the sugar.  Add quick rise yeast and stir lightly.  Allow yeast to activate, about 10 minutes.  In a stand mixer, fitted with a bread hook, add milk mixture and melted cooled butter.  Add the salt.  Start the mixer and add the flour one cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  Dough should be slightly sticky but workable.  Cover the dough in the bowl with a towel.  Set in a warm place and allow raise until double.

Pour your oil in a large pan (with sides deep enough to fully immerse the scones) or a deep fryer and heat slowly over medium to medium high heat.  While the oil is heating, roll the dough out onto the counter, without flour, into a large rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.  You may choose to butter the counter lightly.  Using a pizza cutter, cut into squares or triangles.

Heat oil to between 375 degrees and cook scones until golden brown - you will need to flip them half way through cooking, about a minute on each side.  Serve immediately.

*We used vegetable oil as directed, but I think the flavor of the oil got in the way of the taste.  Next time I would use canola oil, as its a bit more mild. 

No comments:

Post a Comment